Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hello President

Fidel called in to Hugo Chávez’s radio show “Hello President.” The BBC has an edited (and translated) transcript. A big chunk involves praising each other (Castro tells Chávez, “you will be one of the greatest writers in this hemisphere”). They also debate who studies and reads more, and even who has partied the most (says Chávez, “I never partied as much as you”).

I couldn’t help get the sense that it was like two boys at a slumber party. I wonder how true that generally is of close allies. For example, it’s hard to picture Kim Il Sung and Mao hamming it up, or Reagan and Thatcher giggling with each other.

One further note. In the call, Castro also says, “I feel good and I’m happy.” In other words, it appears he’s still not dead.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP